Sunday, January 16, 2005

My thoughts on a day

I try my best to stay away from political statements, state of the world messages, etc..but one thing has been on my mind for the last few days..
bare with me and realize I am not prejudice, biased or close minded.
I am a wee bit bothered by the upcoming holiday on Monday. Granted my place of business isn't closed but government businesses and some others are. No don't go yelling at me yet.

MLK was a great man. A leader way ahead of his time. A godly man living the years 1929 to 1968, a much to short span of a time. He did great good, was a founding civil rights leader, a champion of desegregation. In 1964 he was awarded a Nobel Prize for his march of 200,000 and his non violence resistance approach to his beliefs He did more than any of us could aspire too. If I had of been of age in his time I would have been a champion of his.

Here is where I am bothered....Our nation has had many great leaders filling the President position. Like Lincoln or Washington or more recently John F Kennedy, the list could go on. How come they don't have their day?

Jefferson, 3rd president of the United States, author of the Declaration of Independance. He fought for the colinist independance from the British Government.

Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of the United States and lead the union to win the American Civil War and abolished slavery. He was also a great speaker, helping him in his arduios task as our nations leader.

John F Kennedy, winner of the pulitzer prize for his book, Profiles of Courage, written while recovering of spinal surgery. His idealizm and hope for this nation, reflected in "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.

How come they don't have their day? We have Presidents Day.. a day to honor ALL of our presidents.. In one day. It USED to be George Washington's Birthday, then the GOVERNMENT moved it to the 3rd Monday in February rather that was the 22nd or not.It has become known as the day to honor, Washington, Lincoln and other Presidents who have served our country. So lets lump all 43 into one day.

So now I have ranted and rambled somewhat politically today. That is my right, being a citizen of a free country... I am sure many of you will disagree, find something negative in one of the ones I ranted about..Just remember everyone makes mistakes, we are all human, that is how God made us. I am sure you could and WILL find something bad about anyone I ranted about..

But if you choose to "fire one back" at me, do what my boss says.. Don't just offer up an issue, offer up one or more ways to fix it...Cause even though I think it isn't wholly right, I don't know how I would fix it. 'Cept maybe have a holiday for every president... Hummm, 43 more days off

COOL!

No comments: