Saturday, October 18, 2003

Contemplation
Word of the day.
We where told Friday that over two thirds of our office will be without a job by the end of the year. WOW. All due to the good Ol' Office Politics. They are offering to transfer some people with some bennies and there is talk of offering stay bonuses. But as a whole, most will be unemployed. Not that we haven't seen the writing on the wall. I have said this since the first of the year to "outside" friends and family. But when reality hits, it sucks. My job is included in the mix, although I was not asked to attend the "lay-off" meeting. I was told later they don't want to lose me and have plans for me. Maybe I am over-emotional now, but I find that a bit un-nerving. It is my future..But they can't tell me? What if their plans fall thru and I miss the "transfer boat"?
I had big plans for the weekend, now I want to do nothing.
I think of my co workers. What are they thinking? How will they react? What now? Some have a stable homelife, but that definitely is a small group. One a long term employee, just lost her husband last Christmas, and recently had a stroke. What is she thinking? She was crying Friday. What about another friend. This one is the sole source of income. Lives alone. How depressing can this weekend be? I know people loose their jobs all the time nowadays, but it doesn't always make it right, and it isn't always fair.
So here I sit this weekend, contemplating what to do. What is good for me? I can't afford to be unemployed.
The word contemplation is to close to the word constipation right now. My mind is constipated with all my thoughts.
What would you do?

No comments: